Monday, April 27, 2015

Learning about history

This week, and some of last week, the history lessons Barrett has been studying have been about Constantine.  We have learned about how Constantine moved the capital of Rome to a new place in the east, called Constantinople.  Sometime after Constantine's death, the province of Rome was split in half to be easier to govern because it was so huge.  It worked out well for the Eastern half and not so great for the Western half.  Constantinople and the Eastern part of the new Rome thrived, but in Western Rome, the Barbarians pillaged and just made life crappy for those guys. 

I never really knew this. 

But I DID know the song from They Might Be Giants, called "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)".  So I looked it up tonight, to see what the lyrics are.

I haven't looked at the lyrics yet, because there are SO many things that came up, that I did not know.

Like this little article from an awesome source called "Mental Floss".

It has been a day of learning.  For sure.  I will look up the lyrics eventually!

The other thing that has been very interesting today is that Robert was able to talk to Parker via email for a very little while today.  During their brief visit, Parker told Robert that his companion's dad has been friends with Robert for about 22 years.  They know each other from Robert's work place.  Parker even said that his companion remembers coming to our house when he was around 4 years old, and gave him details that were spot on!  I guess they just figured out this connection very recently.  I don't know how long they have been companions, but they have been companions for at least one transfer!

Robert tried to call his friend today, and left him a message.  This friend called back, and left Robert a message.  Hopefully they will be able to talk soon.

Small, small world.

I hope I remember to write about our ward party that we had on Saturday, and the missionary mom I met there.  I am leaving myself a note here, so that I can (hopefully) remember to write later.

Our snowball bushes are in bloom and are almost white!  They are a little bit early this year, which is weird.  The weather has been weird this year too, so things are just thrown off a little bit!  Usually they are white around Mother's Day. 

No comments: