Monday, November 9, 2009

Rascal!

Usually when the younger kids get off the bus, Barrett will hurry home and bust through the front door, asking for snacks or running full blast to the bathroom.

Today was a little bit different.

Today when I saw that the kids were home, and Barrett hadn't busted through the door yet, I poked my head out the door to see if I could see Barrett. He was on the front lawn with the two neighbor kids, looking aghast. I said: "Hi guys. What's going on?" One of the neighbor kids piped up: "Barrett called us 'Grass Holes'". I was kind of shocked, because that would have been something that he heard from somewhere else, not at home. Plus, he really isn't the kind of kid that says stuff like that.

So I sent the other kids on their way and called Barrett into the house. It took me a little while to figure out what had happened. Barrett has a difficult time retelling things that have happened. (Something we need to work on.) Finally, I got it out of him. He did call them a name. He called them "Rascals". A term of endearment from him, misinterpreted by the other boys.

Rascal and Grass hole, seem to sound very similar, coming from Barrett. His speech is not always super clear and he is missing three and a half front teeth. Not the best conditions to call someone a 'rascal' and be easily understood. No one is perfect, but it sure makes me one happy momma, knowing that my little guy is still the sweet heart that I know he is!

5 comments:

Kim said...

oh..how sweet and funny!

Suzie said...

Hahaha!! Love it!

doghouse said...

Grass hole? isn't that what Parker's hedge hog digs when given the chance in the front yard.

Carrie said...

BWA-HA-HA-HAAAAAA!! That is HYSTERICAL!

Thanks for stopping by and checking out my Witches' Tea Party. It was SO much fun and so cheap!

Ashleigh said...

That is one of the funniest stories I have heard!