Yesterday, Barrett and I were running errands by ourselves. He was singing the playground versions of "Jingle Bells".
You all know what I am talking about.
I was singing along with him, and we were having such a great time together.
He told me a few variations on the playground version, and then he said:
"But the REAL version goes:
'Jingle bells
Batman smells
Robin laid an egg
Batmobile lost a wheel
and the Joker got away.' "
I saw this as a teaching moment, so I said:
"Well, the real version goes like this:
'Jingle bells
Jingle bells
Jingle all the way
Oh what fun it is to ride
in a one horse open sleigh' ."
I sensed that he was slightly taken aback from this sudden knowledge.
We kept singing and having a great time together.
When we got home, Barrett got out a notebook and started to write. I didn't know what he was doing, but I was happy to see him writing. Handwriting can only get better with experience.
Suddenly he asked me: "Mom, how do you spell 'whore'?"
Me: "What? Why do you want to know?"
B: "Because I am writing down the real words to the song, so I can show my friends at school."
Me: "Oh, well that word is not in the song, the word 'horse' is in the song, but not the word 'whore'. You know it is a horse that is pulling the 'one horse open sleigh'."
B: "Oh. Yeah."
Well, I am glad we cleared that up before it made the rounds at school!
SUPER GLAD!
Wednesday, December 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment