The following passage is from the book “The Measure of Our Success” by Marian Edelman. It is her prayer to her children.
“I seek your forgiveness for all the times … I talked when I should have listened, got angry when I should have been patient, feared when I should have delighted, scolded when I should have encouraged, criticized when I should have complimented, said no when I should have said yes and said yes when I should have said no. I did not know a whole lot about parenting or how to ask for help. I often tried too hard and wanted and demanded so much and mistakenly tried to mold you into my image of what I wanted you to be, rather than discovering and nourishing you as you grew.”
I do feel like I have done a pretty decent job, but there have for sure been times that I have done the above. And for that, I mourn. I also feel like being a parent is something that only God will get right. All others will make mistakes, no matter how much trying is involved.
Love.
True love.
I sincerely have that for my children. Even though that love is mixed in with mistakes. I pray they know it is more abundant than the mistakes. That is something I DO have control over.
Monday, February 20, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment