Wednesday, January 27, 2016

This month, so far...

 We got to doggie-sit for a sweet dog named Rosie!  She is adorable, and also knows some fun tricks!  So happy to have her for a few days!

 Used my new pans to make a birthday cake for me and Stephanie!  It was delicious!  The missionaries stopped by to talk to Robert, just as we were getting ready to sing.  They kind of photobombed the picture!

 I wanted to go here for my birthday dinner.  We have never been.  We went in on my actual birthday, but there was a long line and 3 of the kids were saying that the place was "really sketch" which means extremely questionable or not reputable.  So we went somewhere else and it was yummy!
We went the week after, just us two.
She went back the very next week with her friends!
Because it was delicious.
And NOT 'sketch', after all.  
Hmm.  Sometimes old people know things.

 This is the new range that we almost bought.
 But we came home and discovered that all we needed a new appliance cord.
Glad we have Merritt B. to give us sound advice!!
Thank you, Merritt.
I think he really should be called "Merlin" because he is kind of a wizard.

 If any of you know us, you know that I don't buy these gross hot dogs very often.  But we have a deal...
If he gets a hat trick, I'll buy him a hot dog.
He was extremely happy.
AND I owe him another one, ALREADY!
Yuck and yay!

 Parker at the helm at the bowling alley.

 Waiting for turns to throw the ball at the pins!!


 This is a decal on the back of a car I saw at the quilt store.
I took it because it is a good snowflake pattern for a felt table topper that I have in my unfinished project pile.  I was hoping to have it done before now, but it looks like that isn't happening quite yet.  I have had Valentines in my brain.

 On New Year's Eve, we got a new couch.  We are hoping to get a new couch table, and I like how this one looks.  It is perhaps a contender.  I am not sold yet and still looking.

 We went to the temple and then to the gun range.  It was the thrill of his life and I really had a great time.  The reverberation inside the range was a lot more than I expected and took quite a bit of time to get used to.  It was fun, but the air literally moved around you, from the shots going off all around! 

 These are the guns we shot.

 After my poor showing at the bowling alley the week before, I decided that I need to go bowling more often.  I did okay on the first game.  Sucked the second game, and after the old really experienced guy (named Walt) in the next lane over gave me some suggestions, I did much better in the third game.  I took the picture for evidence that I went over 150!
World record!!
Thanks, Walt!
P.S.  You spend a lot less time bowling when there is just one of you.

 I saw the book (below) at the library and got it to browse through it.
I ended up getting some 1/8 yard cuts of fabric and giving some of those blocks a try, with a Valentine theme.  I haven't had much luck with small blocks.  They are 6.5 inches.  
 I have discovered spray starch!!!
It is 97 cents at Walmart!
AND the lavender kind smells lovely!
It makes things MUCH more accurate!
I cannot tell you how excited I am!!
I also learned that when you are doing small blocks (and sometimes regular blocks) it is good to press the seams OPEN!  It is a good thing to know about.
 The past three days, I have done two a day.
I love them.
So much.
And did I mention how heavenly the results are of using the 97 cent spray starch?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't wait to get back to my Moda Sampler now that I have this magnificent knowledge and tool!!
 The above is the first one I tried.  I often have to remember that just because you like two fabrics, you shouldn't always use them together.  I will probably re-make this block and may not put this one into the actual quilt 
(IF I ever get to that point!  Cross your fingers that I do get to that point!!)

 
 The pale pink/blush in the block above is Cotton Coture and the color is called "Creamcicle".
I sincerely love it so much.
 So far, the above is my favorite block.  I love them all, but that one is my favorite so far. I don't know if you can see it, but the gray is actually sparkly!




Tomorrow I will officially not have any "little" kids.
My youngest turns 13.
It is awesome and it sucks!
I hope he will still let me take birthday pictures!  If he does, I will try to post some here.

Also, I tried a new soup recipe yesterday, even though I had to soak the beans over night.
EVERYONE loved it!  And two family members took the left overs for lunch today!  You really should have a loaf of sourdough to eat with it.
It is going in to the "favorites" file and we will be doing that one again, soon!
Here is the link!!
You should try it!

No comments: