So, yesterday was Parker's last soccer game of the season. It was a disappointing loss at 1 to 0 with a questionable call to give the other team a goal. It seems to happen to this team more and more. It was the first game that we had access to the score board and that part was quite fun. It was nice to have Robert there to run the scoreboard for the team. He has some experience in the matter and it was good for him to be more involved.
I must say that the parents of the other players are my friends and I look forward to being with all of them at every game. It is a real sense of unity and I enjoy it so very much. There have been a few of the other players that have moved on to different teams and I miss them, but I miss their parents more. As for this season, it is nice to see the players getting more comfortable with each other and the new coaching. I think one of the things which has brought the team together is "Little Andrew". He is a new kid on the team that was just adopted from an orphanage in the Ukraine by a local family. He is a very gung-ho and gutsy little guy. Some of the parents have nick named him "Taz" after the cartoon character because he just speeds around the soccer field like a maniac and takes people by surprise with his size and tenacity. If I had one word, besides 'little', to describe Andrew, it would be 'tenacious'. He is so fun to watch!
Well, Kooper was baptized yesterday and we missed it. We totally could have made it if we would have known that it had been put back to 8:00 by the time they started the service. Elizabeth was a bit upset that we didn't go, and today when she found out that we missed it, she gave me the whole "The baptism was more important" talk. I was very impressed that she knows that. She was right. I need to be a better example of sacrifice like I keep telling my kids... "Sacrifice is giving up something of value for something more valuable." The soccer game was valuable to me, and I did have some responsibilities there, but nothing that couldn't have waited for 24 hours to be at Kooper's baptism. This has been a real lesson for me. I hope now, that I will take this lesson and be more honest with myself next time, if there is a next time.
Last week in young women, I taught the lesson to the entire group. It was entitled "Making Wise Choices". I love the things that I was reminded of while preparing that lesson. Mostly, I remember my mom always teaching me that we have lots of choices to make and that we have actual control over the things we do. Today, I was looking over a talk that I wrote about 5 or 6 years ago. In that talk I was mentioning an article from "The Friend" magazine about Florence Nightingale and I wrote something like: "Hard work and diligence will bring miracles into our lives and the lives of those around us." I believe that to be very true. Hard work is a choice. Diligence is a choice. Honesty is a choice. Keeping the Lord's standards and commandments is a choice. Being a good person is a choice. I hope that I will choose better choices and bit by bit become the person that Heavenly Father knows that I can become. It really does come down to choices.
Robert brought be a chocolate donut and a tall glass of milk this morning while I was still in bed. What a guy! I love how thoughtful he is sometimes. He really is the more thoughtful one of us. I love him!
Well, I have to go to bed now. Barrett kept me up most of the night last night, which is unusual. I am very tired, but I have missed making entries in my blog and really wanted to get one in tonight.
Saturday, October 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment