Monday, October 20, 2014

School

Yeah.

So Barrett has been at home doing an online school this year.

It has not been easy.  Keeping up with the lessons is very difficult for him and for me.  They are very intensive and have been hard to learn to manage.

Today the local school district is out of school, and Barrett is extremely disappointed that he has school.  He is pretty frustrated that we never get on top of the school work that is handed out.  And when we are close, there are computer problems on the school's end!  That has happened to us twice (maybe more).  It has really hindered our progress and is very discouraging.

There are some helps.  But it seems that everywhere we have turned, we have not gotten the help that we really need.  We do not know a lot about the science portion, especially the math to figure out wave frequency.

Right now, he is in math class, online.  I feel pretty lucky to have a little laptop that I can do other things on. I still have to keep an ear open and an eye out, to make sure he is understanding what is going on.

While he is in class, I get some laundry done, but absolutely no shopping (and no quilting, for that matter).   Robert is very happy about the fact that we are staying under budget so well.

So far, this is an adventure.  There are many, many things that we still have to work out.  I know they will work out, it is just a matter of how long it will take for them to work out!  I don't know if Barrett will be able to hang in there for too much longer!  He is a great sport, and was in total agreement on this decision to make this change.



Lucy is still in regular school.  She is thriving there.  She has straight A's and is in two honors classes, plus she has biology.  She is also still playing the cello and is first chair right now in orchestra.  She wants a new cello, but it is hard for us to want to get her one, when she does not spend much time with the one she rents from the school.  It is a worry to think about spending that kind of money on something you are unsure will really be used.

We never know how things will turn out.  Most of the time we just have to believe that everything will turn out.  It always does, somehow.  Which is awesome!

Parker is doing well on his mission.  He said that the weather updates on the computer sites are lies.  That it is very, very cold, but he is staying warm enough.  He said that there is a lot of ice and he has been slipping and sliding all around when he has to walk out on the street.  He said that so far, he has had no falls, but LOTS of slips!  He said that he is back into full missionary mode, and he is really happy that he isn't thinking about home as much as he was.

I do have a quilt project that is nearing completion!  I love it so much!  It will forever remind me that I worked on it during the World Cup.  And I also love that Parker also gave me his firm opinion on one of the fabrics that he wanted me to use.  So I used it.  So that is something I will love about that particular quilt!

We have new neighbors next door!  They are really old neighbors from years ago!  Melissa G. and her son, Bayden.  They have a new puppy, and Barrett goes over in between classes to let her out to the yard for a few minutes every couple of hours.   It is a great break for him from school, and it is always fun for him to have such access to a puppy a few times a day!!  Her name is Liberty.  She is SO FLUFFY!  We have enjoyed being her neighbor, for sure!


Oh yeah, and Lucy got braces!

No comments: