Sunday, January 25, 2015

Valentine Beauty and Impromptu Idaho

So, I needed the red fabric,
but when I saw the other pretty fabric.....
I am hoping to make a quilt called Baby Mod Squared from Aardvark Quilts with this nice little stash of delicious red, white and pink.
I love it so much.
I actually have visions of reupholstering a chair in a Valentine print.
I would also love that so much.

On Friday, we went on a quick road trip.  We went to Idaho Falls and stayed overnight in a hotel.  We had plans to go to Yellowstone.  They were impromptu plans, and we had no idea that Yellowstone is closed to traffic in the winter season.
Yep.
That's how we roll.
We never do much of anything impromptu, but when we do, we do it without checking.  Luckily Robert did take the laptop and at the hotel, we were able to investigate and we discovered that Yellowstone is not open today.  We were able to listen to a book on cd that we have been wanting to listen to.  So that is good.

Here is Barrett, doing the most active thing he has done for over two weeks:
spinning in the chair at the hotel we stayed at, while watching FA Cup Soccer on Saturday morning.  He enjoyed it very much.

Since Yellowstone is closed, we decided to go to Preston, Idaho. Napoleon Dynamite was filmed there, and we were right in the neighborhood, with some free time to go and take a look.  So we did!  On the way, we saw a sign on the freeway that said "Potato Museum".  The time was right.  We had to stop.
Unfortunately, it was closed for renovation.
Sad times.
First, Yellowstone is closed.
Then, the official potato museum of Idaho is closed.
At least we got to spend some quality time with a very large baked potato-like sculpture.  It was awesome, and hilarious.  We laughed and laughed!
Elizabeth has trained for this moment for her entire middle school life.  And today, she lived the dream.

After stopping at an awesome Mercantile on the way to Preston, we arrived.
The first thing we did, was stop at the very same thrift store that Napoleon shopped at in the movie!  I found some great picture frames, and a string of white twinkle lights (for 75 cents!).  It was the smallest D.I. we have ever seen!
And, as an extra treat, someone was caught shoplifting, and was arrested while we were there!  Barrett had a lot of questions about that.
The girl at the counter told us that we could find a map of the Napoleon sites around town, over at the "Preston Citizen", across the street.

The Preston Citizen is a store.  It has a little bit of a lot of things in it.  It seemed like they had a lot of customers that were making copies.  One of the ladies was making copies for her primary lesson tomorrow.  It was a quaint little place.  I wish I would have taken pictures of some of the things they had for sale there.  Which they have had for sale for quite some time now.
Like for 30 years.
They had some pre-printed papers for someone to copy a baptismal or Sacrament Meeting program onto that had Gordon B. Hinckley on the front page.
They were charging $7.50 for the package.
They also had a box of scissors, like the kind I would have used in second grade.  They were brand new, and in their original box.  Probably from the 70's.  Maybe earlier.  They were marked at $1.37 each.
Anyways, we found our map, and we were off to find some of the sites.
None of us really wanted to go to all of the places, as we were hungry and ready to get headed home by this part of the trip.

On our way to the Citizen, we did pass the Cuttin Curral.
Barrett needed a haircut, and we all agreed that we would stop there and get his hair cut.  It would be epic.
BUT IT WAS OUT OF BUSINESS!
Which fit right along with the other things we thought would be epic for our little whim of a trip!

Here we are, walking on the streets of Preston, Idaho.
We were all having a blast, and really enjoying our time together!

After two attempts, and a successful Garmin entry, we found the house that was used for Napoleon's house in the movie.  Stephanie played the soundtrack the whole time we were in Preston, and kept changing the songs for every occasion.  It was so funny!  I especially liked that she played it while we were in the thrift store.  But I especially liked it all of the time!  SO funny!  And fun!


The sunset was absolutely amazing.
This picture does it no justice. 

We had dinner in Logan, at Angie's.  It was fun to eat at a local place, that was away from home.
After that, we stopped at Johnny O's.
Oh dear.
They are delicious.


I am thankful that we had a safe trip!
And I am thankful that it was fun and funny!  I am so glad that we did this!  We need to do this stuff more often!

P.S.  We did come home and watch Napoleon Dynamite while I gave Barrett a hair cut.

No comments: