Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Christmas Spirit in Abundance

Today I went over to the elementary school with last minute gifts for the kids to give to their teachers for Christmas.  I am ashamed that I didn't give it more thought, but I am glad that I had the chance to be there when I was there.
You see, when I arrived, the air was saturated with the Christmas Spirit.  It was visible to the eye and you could taste it in the air.  The lunchroom was the happiest place since Santa's workshop!  The principal, Mr. Dean was at the stage, with a microphone asking who else would like to sing.  Two girls got up and sang a version of "Jingle Bells", and forgot some of the lines.  But the kids in the room clapped and shouted their appreciation for them, even though they had forgotten some of their words.

I found Barrett and gave him the gift for his teacher.  He told me that he and his friend, Sammy, had just sang "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" together.  I told him I was sad that I missed it!!  Barrett's friend Ozzy, turned to me and said:  "I don't think you should be too sad."  I am not sure what he meant by that, but I know he was having a fun time, and I couldn't help but laugh out loud that he said it! 

I went out to the hall where Elizabeth and her friends were eating their lunch, and gave her the gift for her teacher.  She was glad to see me.  I thought it was totally awesome that she was eating the cookie from her tray with a fork!  While we were talking, some kids were in the queue to go into the lunchroom.  The supervisiors in the hall were singing Christmas songs and encouraging them to sing too!  It was awesome!  I am telling you!!

I went back into the lunchroom, wondering if it was just a temporary thing, but no.  There was Mr. Dean, playing "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" on the piano in front of all the kids eating their lunches, and a whole group of kids were up in the front singing along with his playing.  When they were done, the whole room erupted into cheers of joy for the performance!!

Buddy the Elf has it completely correct:

"The best way to spread Christmas cheer
is singing loud, for all to hear."

It kicked me right into the Christmas Spirit. 

I love this principal. 
And I love Christmas!

The only downside to this is that I didn't have my camera!!

2 comments:

Des said...

Mr. Dean is pure gold baby. We really hit the jackpot.

Unknown said...

He really is a great guy!!! I know my kids adore him!

okay, your blog is cracking me up! I love the colonoscopy story! Paul will get a kick out that one...since that ALL he does every single day!:)

oh, and barrett baby, you are as normal as they get!:)