Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Elizabeth's Baptism


Elizabeth was baptized on July 5th. It was very lovely and she had the program planned exactly as she wanted. (I was asked to conduct the music!) The only thing that was lacking was the words to the songs we sang. No one had music and so I pretty much sang as loud as I could since I knew all the words, hoping that everyone would be able to follow.

Elizabeth had some pretty notable people in attendance at her baptism. First, Maryann Fischer was there and brought Elizabeth a book for her to fill in with all the information about her baptism. It was very sweet for her to come, especially as she is at the end of chemotherapy. I don't think Elizabeth knows that Maryann wrote a hymn that is in our church's hymnbook, but maybe someday she will understand. Maryann is wonderful and a true example to me.

Next, Sister Irene Hatch was there! Sister Hatch is 103 years old and she was just changed from being my visiting teacher. Sister Hatch is one of my heroes! When I grow up, I would love to be like her. She still gardens and does all her own laundry and attends the temple three times a week (three sessions each day). I was able to get a picture of her with Elizabeth. I love this picture as you can still see that Elizabeth's braids are very wet on her shirt. Sister Hatch is just barely taller.

Here are some of the crowd that were in attendance. Besides family, the Haux family was there, Elizabeth's primary teacher Sister Skaggs came, and her past primary teacher Sister Becky Holden came. I loved it when I looked at the back of the room and saw Brother Skaggs in his police uniform, listening to his radio very close to his ear. He was on duty.

After Elizabeth's baptism, we came back to our home and had cake and ice cream. The kids got wet in the pool and hose with their cousins and the friends in the neighborhood.

It was a beautiful day.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Oh, happy day! Wish we could of been there...it's so nice to see all the pictures and isn't Sister Hatch the sweetest...congratulations Elizabeth, we are so happy for you!

Alison W. said...

How wonderful! It sounds like ELizabeth had a very memorable day. She is a very sweet girl.

Unknown said...

I wish I could have been there - DANG family reunions!!!!:)
She is getting more and more beautiful and grown up everytime I see her! that is so funny about bro, skaggs!:)
I am proud of you lucy lou!!!!