Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Few Well Placed Words

Can drive you to the edge of insanity. Or over the edge.

I just visited a blog I read a lot and there was a new entry about how many days till Christmas.


AAAAHHHHHHHH! For the love of everything good in the world! Can we just stop thinking about it!?!

I don't want to know that crap!
Who wants to know that crap?!

I have the hardest time at Christmas because I am filled with worry and indecision about the gifts I am getting for everyone I get gifts for.

The worries are these, in order:

1~Will this gift be something that is in the allotted budget?
2~Will this person know that I love them, through this gift?
3~Will this person love it?! Not like. LOVE!
4~Will this person appreciate what I am getting/making them, or will it get tossed aside and ruined and no one on the planet remembers where it came from?
5~Will something else be more thoughtful?
6~Am I forgetting anyone that I SHOULD be getting gifts for?

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the list COULD GO ON! Usually I get busted at worry number one! I think of great ideas of what I would LOVE to get for others, but it just isn't in the financial picture, so the idea is squashed, like a bug. If it makes it past the first one, it is usually, for sure crushed by the time number three comes around!

So guess what? Right after Thanksgiving, I become pretty much a mental cripple. Paralyzed when it comes to thinking of what to get for people in my life and wishing I could get everyone something. So, usually, they end up with crappy gifts or no gifts. I have also been known to repeat gifts, and let me tell you, that is embarrassing! (some of you are laughing right now!)

So, the "holidays" are not such a celebration for me. Not what it should be like. The gifts get in the way. I do want others in my life to know that I love them. But, is it worth it by buying gifts? I think not. I say we take back Christmas!!! We should forget about these stupid monetary tokens and join the choir! Sing to the neighbors. Make treats and hang out with the people that we love! Hot chocolate and marshmallows! Peace and love, people!!! Peace and love!!!

We don't need no stinking presents!!!
Well, at least not a boat-load!

Anyways...

I really would be happier with gift giving if it were focused on less, and the true meaning of Christmas was felt more during the holidays. I love how Christmas feels.

I love listening to the choirs sing and watching old movies and the holiday Christmas specials. Last year from netflix, I got the Andy Williams Christmas Special, and it was awesome! Really interesting that Christ was still included in the celebration! (And interesting to see people with real teeth and real breasts on a TV show!) I also really, really love the snow and looking at all of the Nativity scenes. Favorite Christmas movie: Mr. Kruegar's Christmas.

But my favorite part of Christmas is thinking about the birth of our Savior. He is the first gift of Christmas. The only gift anyone needs. The gift of love. I know I have had a great Christmas season, when I can feel that love and it stays with me. I truly think that is what Christmas is supposed to be. There only needed to be one gift. Jesus Christ.

So, even though there are only 80-something days till Christmas, I am hoping that I will be prepared, ahead of time, with thoughtful gifts that meet my criteria.
That way I can be mentally and spiritually awake and truely feel Christmas when it gets here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So now you brought it up! Thanks for that.

Michelle S. said...

Jenn~
Yeah, sorry. I was kind of forced, against my will, into bringing it up because it was REALLY FREAKING ME OUT!

Hope I didn't ruin your day, because I think you are just so wonderful and darling!

Anonymous said...

You took the words right out of my mouth, chica!! These thoughts could have come right out of my brain. In fact, I wanna copy them for my own blog!! I'll join you in the festivities of the season and forget the angst over gift-giving, any day!

Alison W. said...

You are always the most loveliest and thoughtful gift giver. I have always loved the care you have put into my prized ornaments I have received over the years. Most important is the wonderful friend you are! (Awww, such sappy sediments I know, but I truly mean it.)