Wednesday, May 11, 2011

At Costco

Lots of cool things happen at Costco.

Tonight I picked Barrett up from soccer training and we went to pick up some milk from Costco. I stopped to look at the batteries and when I looked up, there was Nick Rimando! Holy moly! The goalie for REaL Salt Lake! We love that guy!

I almost couldn't believe that it was him, but I was able to mutter: "Are you Nick?" And he said "Yes." and he smiled a huge smile. He kindly stopped to talk to us and I asked him how Javier Morales is doing. He told us he is in good spirits and that he thinks Javi will be back in more like 5 months because his injuries from Saturday involve so much damage to the ligaments.

I introduced him to Barrett and told him that Barrett is the goalie for his competition soccer team and that he plays up a year. He walked over to Barrett and shook his hand and said "It's nice to meet you".

This is the part where the mom in me happens: Barrett looked a lot like an orphan. He had on a white Old Navy tshirt that said "Ho-Ho-Ho" and has a picture of Santa on it, and he had on silver shorts that were too big, and green soccer socks. Sweet. Great job dressing your kid, mom. At least his hair was fixed. The most terrifying part of the whole thing was that when I held Barrett's hand on the way to the car, I noticed that his hands were completely sticky. He had been playing in the Gatorade at practice.

Real nice.

He shook hands with his favorite goal keeper in the world, WITH STICKY HANDS!!

On his way to the shower, he says to me:
"Meeting Nick Rimando is pretty much the coolest thing that could ever happen to a kid my age."

It is the coolest thing for a kid my age too!

Also at Costco was his young son. I asked what his name is and he said "Jett". I told him that we would have named our third child Jett if it was a boy, but it turned out to be a girl, so we named her Elizabeth.

I have been wearing a monitor for my heart for the past few days, just to see how things are going, and I am sure that the record will show that my heart rate was high for this visit to Costco.

1 comment:

Hale Family said...

Very cool! I just read this post to my 10 year old, soccer loving son. He said "AWESOME!"