Oh, my mom.
Some things about her:
Going to the drug store and watching how she leaned on the counter to talk.
Knowing she would let me stay home from school if I told her I was sick.
Teaching me how to can fruit.
Her hysterical laughter over my brother's "Naked Customer" discovery.
Seeing her wear moon boots and rubber gloves to fix the breaker box.
(YES! SHE FIXED OUR BREAKER BOX, and lived to tell about it.)
I remember being sick when my Uncle was going to light fireworks in the neighborhood. I was in bed for most of the afternoon and evening. She came in to visit me before she went to bed. I remember her breaking the news to me that I had missed the firework show, which I was very sad about. She told me to be glad, because fireworks are very dangerous.
I remember writing "xoxoxo" on things for her, and she wrote them on things for me. I remember this, even from kindergarten.
She is a wonderful artist. I would love to get a chance to have her paint me some watercolor somethings. She sat down with my kids once and just painted a little bird. It was so beautiful, I can still see it in my mind and I wish I could know where it is, right now. I would get that sweet thing and put it onto one of my valentines. I feel like it could still be here, somewhere. I will be keeping my eyes open for that lovely.
I think my most very favorite thing that I remember about my mom is that when we would all finally get into bed, she would play the piano, and fill the house with music. People. There is nothing better than going to sleep to the sound of your mother playing the piano.
Or reading to you.
I was extremely fortunate to have those experiences.
Thank you, mom.
I love you so much.
My mom is literally like a celebrity. Everyone clamors for her attention. She is one popular lady and loved far and wide.
I am happy to say that I went to a wedding recently, my mom was also there, and I actually remembered to snap a picture with her! (See above.)
How lucky am I?!
Mom, thanks for buying me those pink sunglasses back in the 70's. I loved those things!
Thanks for getting me some Lip Smackers when I was in first grade. Especially the toasted marshmallow kind. It was the best. I still love that stuff. So much.
Thank you for always remembering my birthday, and my kids birthdays. It means a lot to me. And to them. I wish I was better about remembering birthdays, and not just on facebook.
Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:
I truly LOVED reading this! I love your mom too!
Post a Comment