Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Lip Smacker


Some of you may or may not know my childhood/adulthood love and fascination with Lip Smackers and Kissing Potion and that a tragedy occurred in 3rd grade concerning the heavenly stuff.

When I was in 1st grade there was a girl named Rebecca whom I admired. Most of her conversation revolved around lip gloss and how many she had. I became enamored (maybe obsessed) with the stuff and wanted desperately to have some for myself. Our family was not very well off and had to do without a lot of basic things and so lip gloss was not in the realm of possibilities for me.

Well, in the 3rd grade, I got a whole three pack of LIP SMACKERS for Christmas! One of the flavors, which was my favorite, was "Toasted Marshmallow". I carried it with me everywhere. One day we went out to the field to watch some demonstration, probably a rocket launch for the 6th graders. I looked over, and Myra Franklin had my beloved Toasted Marshmallow Lip Smacker!!! I freaked out! How did she get it!? Did it fall out of my pocket? Did she take it from my coat or desk!? I remember the teacher getting involved and that I eventually got my Lip Smacker back, but I really don't remember anything after seeing that she had it, accept that I did get it back and that I was really mad at Myra Franklin forever more.

When I started being old enough to earn money, I of course bought many wonderful flavors of Lip Smackers. I am not opposed to some of the cute things Avon puts out and have even now, quite a collection of their stuff. I used to not like Chapstick, but have discovered that it isn't as waxy as it was when I was a kid. I really like Carmex too. I am a sucker for lip gloss, especially if it is in a roll up tube. A lot of times it will accumulate and I will have a nice, neat row of them in my closet. Robert will occasionally ask me to put them away somewhere, but when I take them out of my pocket at night they go right back to the neat row in the closet.

I would have voted for Summer just because of the promise of Bonnie Bell dispensers in all the girls bathrooms. That sweet dance may have swayed me temporarily, but I would have voted for Summer.




No comments: