Sunday, September 7, 2008

An Autobiographical Assignment

Elizabeth came home with the assignment to write/draw/paste photos in a book about who she is. The idea here is for her class at school to get to know more about her and for her to get an idea about how to express herself. The book will be put into the class library, along with every other student's books, and sent home at the end of the year.

At first Elizabeth wanted to put it off and go out to play with her friends. I told her she had to spend a certain amount of time on it every day, so she would be happy with the end result. That wasn't enough incentive for her. So I asked her to think about if her Grandmother had written such a book when she was 8... would she enjoy seeing it and reading it and knowing what her Grandma was thinking when she was exactly her age? We had a long talk about how wonderful that would be. There was no problem after we had our chat and she was mostly happy to spend a little time every day on this project.

Elizabeth has some real advantages about having this assignment. The first advantage is that I learned (very quickly) that if a kid has a vision about how they want to do something, especially creative, it is best to let them do it their way and NOT mine. I am happy to be a director though, when I see an opening. I did not have much of an opening on this venture, but Elizabeth did listen to some things I had to say.

Elizabeth has worked on this book for about a week now and she finished it tonight. It turned out so darling and she is more than extremely pleased with the results. It is fun to see the things that she presented about herself to her peers. I found it very interesting that she refused to mention anything that she dislikes. She told me that putting down the things that she doesn't like "would be too embarrassing". I had no idea.

Elizabeth is so pleased with her results that she mentioned that it could get ripped in the class library and she is worried for her work of heart.

And she is so pleased with it that she is sleeping with it tonight.
I hope that isn't embarrassing.

3 comments:

Jillene said...

Ummmm...isn't it our job to embarass our kids? I love that she slept with her book! That is super cute!

Unknown said...

How sweet! I want to see a picture of it - it sounds adorable! have you been sick? You seemed a little sick yesterday! I hope you are getting netter if you are!

Michelle S. said...

Aubrey, I have been sick for three weeks and 1 day. It will never end!!! I haven't blogged about it, but yes. Stephanie and Parker are feeling it just a little and Stephanie was very mad that we went to church yesterday. My problem is that I feel like when I miss testimony meeting I am even more disconnected from the ward, so I really felt like I needed to be there. Plus I had a lesson to teach.

Jillene, isn't it our duty to embarrass our children? I think it is more of a built-in thing, as most of the times I am not even trying to do it! I think it doesn't matter what we do, they will be embarrassed. ROCK ON!