Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Dear Santa,

I asked Barrett today to write a letter to Santa. The reason I asked him to write this letter is because his teacher suggested it and I wanted to see if he could think and write. Please keep in mind that he is 5 and has not had very much experience with pen and ink. I have been quite preoccupied with having 4 others to look after, and Barrett's early writing skills have suffered.

Now also please keep in mind that I told him I would not help him to spell anything. He needed to just write down things the way he thought they sounded. I also told him that whatever he wrote, I would not tell him it was wrong.

I am loving the results...



Translation:

Barrett dear Santa Claus, I like Christmas. Santa Claus how many reindeer do you have? 50?

I've been really good this year!

I love that he was such a good sport about doing this. I could see that it was a change from just being told what to write or seeing what to write. He was a little bit frusterated, but he finished! I am so pleased!

2 comments:

Kim said...

that is the cutest thing ever! Good job Barrett!!

Suzie said...

I agree with Kim, this is the cutest thing ever! Thanks for the translation, I don't know if I would have figured it all out without it, but dang he did a good job for a kindergartner!