This Christmas was a lot different for us. Not a bad thing, just not the same. Usually on Christmas eve, we get together with uncles and aunts and cousins (usually on the Schafer side) and we go out to eat for an early dinner. After dinner, we decorate birthday cupcakes in honor of the baby Jesus' birthday, which some always get left on the special plate for Santa.
After Maria had to go home, the kids got their Christmas eve pajamas. This is also a tradition at our home and from what I understand, it is a pretty common tradition in our society. It is such a fun one!
Robert had spent a lot of Christmas eve day sequestered in our bedroom getting all the presents wrapped, so we didn't have to stay up all night wrapping! You know, he really saves my life. A LOT more than anyone knows! He has been struggling with a bad head cold too. We got to watch Christmas movies on Christmas eve instead of wrapping! Nice change!!
Christmas arrived and we opened gifts. My favorite gift that was given was given by Elizabeth to Robert. She made him a head band to keep his ears warm when he walks to Traxx. She pinned, cut and sewed everything by herself. I did thread the machine though. It was such a joy to see her self confidence soar!
I loved that Barrett was SO happy about the build-a-bear costume that Robert gave him. He loves that thing and has played and played with it!
Parker made a jewelry box and a string of beads for Stephanie. She has worn the beads both of the days she has had them! He was so excited to give them to her and she actually gave him a hug when she opened his gift. We were lucky enough to get that blessed event on tape!
The big hit of the day was a surprise to me. Silly Putty. All the kids got some in their stockings and they have not let it out of their reach!
After presents Robert made french toast and I cooked up some sausage. Then we headed to Provo, our usual Christmas day pattern, only to turn around at the point of the mountain because the snowfall was piling up like crazy! We just came back and had a longer than usual visit with the Schafer parents. While we were visiting with the Schafer parents, Robert and Stephanie went downstairs in their house to look for his clarinet (Stephanie really thought she was getting one for Christmas, unbeknownst to us!) While they were down there, they found Uncle Tom's old coronet. Robert was blowing on it and filling the house with this weird trumpet sound and laughing hysterically. The kids loved it, especially the laughter. It was a nice visit, complete with cheese and crackers, Barrett's favorite!
When we got home, Robert and I took a nap!!!
Can you believe it? A real, live nap!
On Christmas day!
Yes! A nap!
It is a Christmas miracle that I will cherish in my memory forever more.
Robert had to work the day after Christmas, so he went to bed at a regular hour, but Parker went out to shovel snow and Stephanie and I and Barrett started to watch "While You Were Sleeping". Barrett was ready for bed and so I went to tuck him in, but I couldn't get into the room! Parker and I spent the next hour or so deep cleaning the place. That kid is a stuffer, I tell you! I don't think that manufacturers should be allowed to make children's beds that have open spaces underneath the mattress and box spring. I was sad to see that I missed the whole movie and still felt like staying up, so I watched a movie that I had from Netflix called "The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey". I loved it! I went to bed at 2:00 a.m., but the snow was falling and the movie was great!
So, here it is, Saturday. We went to visit all of our loved ones in Provo today, since we missed them on Christmas. It was a nice visit. We were even able to stop by the Kowallis home to say hi to them, on our way back north.
Not the usual Christmas line up. But hey, you can never go wrong if there is a nap!
5 comments:
Stephanie and Parker...HUGGED?! That is total insanium in the cranium.
Love it my sweet friend! I am so happy you took the time to be lengthy! I miss your cute way of putting your words together and can hear you speaking while reading your posts! Like- " I just adore that Maria girl!"
We were sad that we didn't get to see the Schafer's on Christmas, it just felt so much less Christmas-y without you guys!
I took a nap on Christmas too! All I can say is HEAVENLY!
Love you guys!! Merry late Christmas and a Happy Birthday to you...one day early!
Looks like you all had a wonderful day! Love the PJ's!
Post a Comment