We have a poodle. His name is Charlie. He is little and black. He was given to us and the previous owners have trained him very well. He does not "dumpster dive" or use our floors as his personal toilet and he hasn't nipped at anyone, yet. He lets my 8 year old daughter use him as a model for her photo shoots. He is a good dog. I would love to take the credit for his mostly good manners, but I can not. He has always been trusted with everything in our home when we have been away.
Always trusted, until now.
Dun-dun-dun!
Barrett left his basket of candy on the floor while we went to a movie on Saturday. When we came home, there was candy and wrappers everywhere. It only took a few minutes to figure out that Charlie was the one that made the mess. He acted SO busted! I stayed up with him for most of the night because he really can't stomach anything much more than his dog food. He is a delicate creature. He did barf and he was breathing very weird so I stayed up with him. On Sunday morning he was fine.
We went to church, making sure that no candy was around to potentially harm the dog.
We came home from church and Stephanie came up to the living room and made a general announcement:
"I am not going to stand around and argue, but I would just like to know who ate my Cadbury Creme Egg, Parker." Parker promised that it wasn't him, which Stephanie didn't put very much faith in. (but at least she kept her word and didn't stand around to argue about it!) I started up the stairs to my bedroom and I noticed that in Charlie's bed there were pieces of a foil wrapper. At first I thought that it was the kids just dumping their candy wrappers over the side of the couch, but I looked closer and the foil was the same colors as...
A CADBURY CREME EGG!
There were also little remnants of chocolate on the bottom of his bed!!!
I called Stephanie and told her to look in Charlie's bed. At first she didn't believe it. "He would have had to climb up on my bed to get it. And if he did that, he had to take it out of my basket!" Which he apparently did!
She totally took it personally!
"You little skunk-dog!!!"
I guess that even a well behaved, mostly trained dog is still a dog.
Ceasar Milan would agree.
Everyone that knows Charlie, knows that he is a very well behaved dog. Unless someone knocks at the door or someone says the word "cat" or "Toby".
I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. I really can't blame him! Who wouldn't want to get something that is terribly sinfully yummy and retreat to their favorite spot in the house to indulge when no one was home to bother them?!? I know I do it. Sometimes.
As a side note, Charlie goes for shots today. Would you call it Karma? I don't know, but I guess it sometimes happens for little black poodles too.
5 comments:
Oh...Charlie...I love candy too! I don't blame you one bit!
ps...hope he's okay.
You are so DANG funny!!! My very well behaved Eddie has had more than his share of Jelly Beans this season. NO Chocolate here girl, it's every dogs downfall.
Let Charlie know there is no room in the dog house for two bad dogs.
My friend at work said her Weiner Dog "Chippy" ate a whole solid chocolate bunny and to save his life had to induce vomiting by having the Chippy drink hydrogen pyroxcide. All this in their church clothes on the way out the door to Easter services. Chippy survived.
We have two piggy dogs who would eat a rubber chicken if I dropped it on the floor!
Methinks Charlie just wanted to haz some can-day!! " )
Post a Comment