Saturday, July 25, 2009

Old songs!

I love it when you hear a song and it takes you to a time that you have forgotten! The smells, the feelings, the flavors!

I have had the daunting task this week to spend two hours on itunes and the Internet, trying to search for a song that I heard in the car on Monday, and continued to sing throughout the entire shopping trip we were on.

There is a new, wonderful radio station, 104.7, which plays many wonderful songs that I have not heard for a long, long time! I tried to look on their web site, but they are too new to have a play list. I tried to call the station, but no one knew what in the heck I was talking about. But even at all those dead ends, I persisted. But, there was more than one problem: I couldn't remember A DANG THING about the song when I got home! You would think I would remember something, because I did sing it throughout the entire store, embarrassing Elizabeth terribly.

The only thing I knew about this song was that a rock "hair band" sang it. I love that on itunes they give you suggestions of similar songs to the one that you are currently looking at. I took advantage of this feature and FINALLY came across the song. The song I had been looking for.

"High Enough" by Damn Yankees.

That was the song! YESSS.

I have been listening to it every second possible!

Stephanie has been giving me a hard time about the band because it has a swear word in the name. Damn. It is a shame. I admit. But I think "Damn Yankees" is a better band name than "Barenaked Ladies". ('Grade 9' is my favorite song from BNL. SO FUNNY!)

I am so thankful that I had divine help to find that song. I am one happy gal!

Do you have any songs that take you right back to one moment. A moment frozen inside of that song that unfreezes the moment you hear it? I love that. Brian Adams, Summer of '69 does that for me.
Ahhh.
"High Enough" doesn't really have any memories attached to it, but during the itunes search, I came across some that did. Even hearing the 30 second snippet of some songs brought back some pretty vivid images and smells and memories. It was kind of fun, and elusive.

So, what are your songs? What triggers memories for you?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bette Davis Eyes. But only because my friend used to sing it "Better Days Besides". When we told her what it was really titled she said, "Who in the heck is Bette Davis?" She kept singing it her way. Thanks for the funny post!! BTW, my number is the same!

Kim C. said...

I also love old songs. High Enough is one of my favorites...maybe cause it is the only Damn Yankees song that I know but Buck and I also have a funny Ted Nugent experience that makes the song dearer to me. I'll relate it to you another time...
There are so many songs that probably aren't very great masterpieces, but I love them because of the memories they trigger!

Kim said...

My favorite song of all time is Two out of Three Aint Bad by Meatloaf....triggers memories of childhood for me. I used to put it on our record player and play it over and over again...can still picture our old living room everytime I hear it. There are too many more to list here...

Kim C. said...

Oh my heck, Sue's comment reminds of my college roommate singing that Till Tuesday song called "Voices Carry". She would sing "This is scary" instead. So funny.