Thursday, January 10, 2008

Red, White and Pink

So I got my January/February issue of Home Companion and I have to tell you that I LOVE that magazine! This time it made me realize that I am a valentine junkie. Yes, it is true! I love valentine's day and all of the sparkle that accompanies it. All of the hearts and lace and paper and red and pink is just what I want to see! If I can pull it together, I hope to make a valentine mobile this year. I did it with Stephanie when she was about 3 years old and it was around for quite a while, but I have no idea what happened to it. Maybe I will be surprised someday and come across it. I remember that we really had a fun time putting that together.

I also remember that last year on her program, Martha Stewart had a demonstration on how to make heart shaped candy boxes! Oh my! I still have the desire to make one of those things! In my dream world, I would love to make one for every kid that we give valentines to, which is pretty much every kid that we can think of!

We especially love to give valentines to all of the cousins. I remember as a kid, about age 7 or 8 that my Grandma Throckmorton (Granny T.) and my Aunt Karen would sneak valentines to our back door and leave them for us all. It was such a wonderful thing for me! I really knew that they were thinking about me and about my family. It is a very fond memory of mine! Especially because I used to think that my Granny T. was such an angry person. I can see now that she showed her love for us through all the things she did with us and for us. She had a very small house and drove the same old station wagon for years, but she NEVER forgot a birthday! I want to be like that.

Here it is, only the second week of January and I am already on the hunt for pink glitter and pretty paper. I hope that I can get Cheri's (my sister) baby quilt done before I get too sidetracked with hearts.

2 comments:

Kim C. said...

I also used to love leaving Valentine's on people's doors. I remember doing it for my friends in the neighborhood when I was really young.

Unknown said...

YEAH _ I LOVE IT TOO! What could possibly be better than pink and red hearts and SPARKLES!!!!!