Recently it has come to my attention that I am in the middle age group. There is a term for most of the people in my area called: "Newly Wed or Nearly Dead". It is a hard thing to come to grips with, as I am not in either of those categories. When we moved here I was in the "Newly Wed" category. In my mind, that is the place I don't ever remember being excused from. In my mind, I still have young children and I don't feel middle aged, but it has become very evident that I have been around now for a while. Hence, the following story:
Today Barrett was insistent that he had a sliver in his thumb, so I asked him to let me see. He came over, with complete faith that I could help him. But to his disappointment and my surprise, MY EYES DIDN'T WORK!!! I could not focus at close range on his sliver! How in the heck am I supposed to get a sliver out if I can't even tell if there is one?!
I recently had an eye exam. The doctor told me that this was near on the horizon. That "people your age begin to lose their ability to focus on things that are close". I was pretty smug in my thoughts that day, thinking that he was wrong to this point in time. Yeah, well, I wonder if my head is so open to suggestion that my body just followed instructions. I hope no one with accreditation tells me that I have some terrible disease!
Robert put it very well after he hurt his knee last year playing soccer: "I think it is a sign that I am getting old. Things are starting to fall apart."
Middle age. My spirit hasn't accepted it, but my brain might have and my body is a believer.
Thursday, February 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment