Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Digging through the dust

As a result of Stephanie turning 16, we have planned a party for this Friday night. She really wanted to have an "Awesome 80's" theme, so that's what we're doing! We are planning on playing Pictionary and voting on which 80's movie to watch: Better Off Dead, Back to the Future or Footloose. We will be serving 80's food: Doritos, Caffene-Free Pepsi, Skittles and Reese's Pieces. Of course there will be cake. She has also asked that all the guests dress in 80's fashion. Many of her friends are VERY excited!!

Robert has been going through all of the old boxes of memories and has found a bunch of stuff for inspiration. Mostly he wanted to find my old freshman year book because he remembered that it had a lot of things we could use for references. 1985, folks. He found it, and yup, prime time 80's time capsule.

While he was rifling around, we found some old pictures and old love letters from guys I haven't thought about in at least 10 years!!! It was really a weird sensation! And I was a bit embarrassed! Robert found some red parachute pants though, and they were quite the find. Parker is planning on wearing those sweet knickers next week for flash back week at his school. (Too bad my 5150 Van Halen concert shirt was not among the found treasures!)

My favorite part of the 80's was by far, the music!!! I liked the clothes too, except for stirrup pants. I could never find any long enough for my freakishly long legs!!!

Even if you are too young to remember the 80's, what is/was your favorite part?

11 comments:

Kim said...

stirup pants...ha ha...what were we thinking? I used to sew the bottoms of my pants so they would be tight at my ankles...then I couldn't get them on/off over my calves unless I totally relaxed them. Remember socks with high heels? And who can forget the big hairdos! Oh, those were the days!

Jillene said...

I loved the 80's!! The music was my favorite part. And I had the same issure with the pants--stupid long legs!!

Oh and I vote (not that my vote counts) for Better Off Dead. It;s one of my all time favs!!

Happy Birthday Stephanie--you are making me feel REALLY old!! (0;

Anonymous said...

I vote for Better Off Dead. And I think you should switch to Diet Coke because Pepsi is nasty! Don't forget to pop those collars!

Kim C. said...

Michelle, that is such a fun idea! Last time I went to an 80's party was when Julie & I were in the singles ward. I have a picture of us with our huge, brightly colored earrings, legwarmers over leggings with mini skirts, oversized, off-the-shoulder (think flashdance) sweatshirts and side ponytails. We also had lots of blue and green eyeshadow. We looked awesome!
Remember those u-knits or whatever they were called where you would buy different pieces and mix and match your outfit? They had those bandeaus that went over your t-shirt. I loved those things (even though mine were not the official ones from the mall...I think my Aunt Dorinda made them).
Anyway, thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Kim C. said...

p.s. I hated stirrup pants too!

Suzie said...

I can't wait to see pictures from the event! LOL!!!! I loved the "crimped" hair look, in fact I am going to call my mom and see if she still has our crimper! I remember the layered pocket t-shirts that we looped in those little plastic things...???? Remember those?

Hallie and I vote for Back to the Future, but Hal says that his vote for Better Off Dead trumps everyone else.

Suzie said...

Check out this post my friend just added to her blog.

http://doriuscrew.blogspot.com/2009/01/trip-down-memory-lane.html

Shaunab said...

The 80's were the best!! I too remember the big hair, the leg warmers and Kim, thanks for the reminder of the u-knits.

Michelle S. said...

I can't wait to take the pictures!! Stephanie's outfit is GREAT! We got it at D.I. today and it is too awesome! We also saw BRIAN AND BRENDA (all the way from Provo!) while we were there, in the Murray D.I.! It was such a cool surprise!!

I really hope we can find a copy of Better Off Dead on DVD, we have it on VHS and just might have to hook up the tape player so we can watch it.

Michelle S. said...

I am amazed that so many of you voted for Better Off Dead!! It really is the best.

That is unless you are Hallie, and then Back to the Future is the best. I'm trying to think what she would always tell Suzie about that movie. Was it that she would marry Marty McFly? What a hoot, that girl!!!!

Suzie said...

Yep, Hallie wants to marry GEORGE McFly, LOL!!! Also she learned the "D" word from that movie. The part where George pulls Biff out of the car and says "Take your "D" hands off her!" She actually said something like that to my sweet Grandma, what a stinker!